Monday, March 10, 2008

Good reasons for pessimism

When you receive news in today's day and age (and most likely in 1840 too), it's no secret that it is usually dismal to say the least. In the news, the bad always kicks the shit out of the good. No Hollywood endings in the media. 

But reasons to be upset: N.Y. Gov. Eliot Spitzer, a supposed good guy in politics -- a prostitution fighter on Wall Street -- has been linked to a prostitution ring, The New York Times has learned. The best part is that his wife, Silda, stood beside him while he gave his statement to the press. Now that's loyalty, but I bet that Oprah-loving-feminists are outraged. Is it possible or even worth an attempt anymore to thwart corruption and scandal in politics and government? Seems utterly futile. Like even the Superman of politics is, well, the Joker. (I'm working on a satiric screenplay for an animation studio and clearly working on my comic references, I apologize.)

But what fuels my misanthropy is of a different vein. I've learned that a new movie is in the works. A movie about a literary idol of mine. Edgar Allan Poe. If I tried, like I put aside all TV watching, eating, sleeping, and feeding ducks at the park to concentrate on my literary pursuits, I would never be as powerful and compelling a writer as the mind behind "The Tell-Tale Heart." But with all honesty and self-effacing aside, the inordinate pain comes from the core of the movie. It is to be directed by, hold the applause... Sylvester Stallone.  But even better for you, lovers of literary art with acute depression, is that he is also suppose to write it. Fucking Rambo is writing a movie about one of America's greatest and most mysterious writers!

The best way to sum up my thoughts, as a writer, on this: Fuck you Hollywood, fuck you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now that's a happy ending.

did you hear about "where the wild things are?" the screenplay penned by dave eggers and spike jones?

Just got asked to be recut because it is too scary! I remember how scary that book was....but I guess that is just one more way hollywood is fucking the future of literature as well as the past.